The Building High Quality Infrastructure with Terraform Workshop helps teams understand and address the challenges of building high-quality infrastructure. The workshop provides students with methods for building high quality infrastructure and hands-on practice building and testing infrastructure using Terraform on AWS.
If you experience any of the following, this workshop is for you:
- slow and uncertain infrastructure delivery
- fear of changing code
- Alice can’t change X because Bob is the only one who knows that area, or worse — ‘owns’ it
- Alice is afraid to fix Y because it’s unclear what the impact will be
- difficulty adding members to the development team
Attendees will leave with:
- understanding of why team-based delivery and automated testing are important
- knowledge of quality methods and fit by phase of the Infrastructure Development Lifecycle (IDLC)
- ability to:
- develop generic infrastructure modules in Terraform using a pre-built dev environment
- inspect code for problems and share with colleagues
- write automated tests for new and existing Terraform infrastructure code
- how to use social processes such as retrospectives and code review to:
- share knowledge
- change team culture
The workshop is typically delivered in a 1-day format with the following agenda:
- The Challenge
- Quality Methods – Team
- Quality Methods – Testing
- A Modern Infrastructure Code Build
- Continuous Integration
- Infrastructure Layers & Interfaces Between Them
- Practical: Static Analysis
- Practical: Unit Testing
- Practical: Code Review
- Going Forward
The practical sections will be a hands-on exercise where students develop terraform code to place an autoscaling EC2 cluster into an existing multi-tiered VPC and expose the application via an application load balancer. Docker and the terraform-infra-dev image will be used to provide a portable, reliable development experience for the workshop and your own team, if you choose.
Scheduling a Workshop
To schedule a training workshop for your team, please complete the contact form below and we will find a time and place that is convenient.
The Quality workshop is highly interactive and we recommend:
- sending pairs of engineers from a team to encourage shared context and peer support when returning to work
- a workshop size of 6-10 engineers; if you have fewer engineers please contact us and we will adjust delivery options
- beginner or higher-level proficiency in Terraform
Workshops may be conducted on-site at your team’s location or at a QualiMente-provided training center. QualiMente is based in the Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area and consultants are available for travel within the United States.
1-day, on-site workshop in Phoenix, AZ: $6,250 (POs and CCs accepted)
Cost of travel and training centers will be quoted when requested by the client. Discounts are available when booking multiple workshops or additional training on advanced content.
QualiMente partners with leading technology firms and can help integrate them into your organization: